Founded in 1909, Lanzhou University is one of the top universities directly administered by the Ministry of Education and elected as one of the key universities in “Project 211” and “Project 985”. It was originally named as Gansu School of Law and Politics. In 1928, it was expanded into Lanzhou Sun Yat-Sen University. It was renamed as National University of Lanzhou in 1945. In 2002 and 2004, the Institute of Gansu Grassland Ecology and Lanzhou Medical College merged in to Lanzhou University respectively.Lanzhou University currently occupies a total area of 3807 mu and consists of 6 campuses with 2 affiliated hospitals and 1stomatological hospital. The university has totally 4,257 staffs and teachers working on the campus, of which 1,975 are faculty members, including 424 professors, 874 associate professors, 423 doctoral supervisors and 9 academicians. So far 20,083 students are enrolled in the undergraduate program, 10,646 students in the postgraduate and doctoral programs.