Founded in 1941, the BFSU was then known as Yan’an College of Foreign Languages, which was reorganized based on the Department of Russian at Campus Three of China Anti-Japanese Military and Political University. It was renamed Beijing Foreign Languages Institute in 1949 when the People’s Republic of China was founded and incorporated with Beijing Russian Institute in 1959. The university got its current name in 1994 with the approval of the State Ministry of Education.
Beijing Foreign Studies University, or the BFSU, is a prestigious university in China and under the direct management of the State Ministry of Education. As the first foreign language university and offering the most language programs in the country, it excels in the teaching and studying of foreign languages, foreign literature, overseas sinology, and also serves as an important base producing quality professionals with language competence and global vision.